Boxed or Wide or Framed
Dark or Light Style
- C Riches
Cristina Riches aka Bird, is the founder of BirdsParty.com. She’s also a creative mom of two, published author, graphic designer, freelance photographer, magazine editor and unconditional party lover. Her party ideas and photos have been featured on numerous publications such as Forbes.com, CNN Entertainment, Parenting Magazine, Celebrate Magazine, All You Magazine, Elle Decor and MarthaStewart.com. She also regularly creates content for brands such as PBS Parents, HGTV, Coca-Cola, Nestlé, Pillsbury, PayPal, Mars, Hellmann’s, Cultura France and Danone to name a few.
View my complete profile
Idaho Spuds for sponsoring this post. VeggieMash mashed potatoes are a blend of 100% Idaho® grown potatoes and real vegetables for a new take on a family favorite!
I love party appetizers, don’t you? Serve up a delicious platter of nibble-size food or snacks and I’m all over it! 😍
But serving a delicious AND nutritious party appetizer can often be a challenge, I find. Especially if you have adults and kids present at an event or family gathering and have to cater for various palates.
Vegetarian Indian Samosas Recipe
For my parties and family events, I often turn to Indian cuisine for a vegetarian option, which at least help me incorporate some fresh veggies in my party menu – with delicious, punchy flavors! These vegetarian samosas are SO yummy, and very popular with non-vegetarians too! They’re a surprisingly simple way to get my family to eat more vegetables (and enjoy it!), and my kids totally love them!
To make my life as a hostess easier, I use a filling of frozen peas and Idaho Spuds’ new VeggieMash products to help me make a nutritious, delicious party appetizer with zero complaints from my family!
Idaho Spuds’ new VeggieMash come in three tasty flavors, and I used them all in this recipe:
* Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower, Butter and Herbs
* Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower and Ranch
* Mashed Potatoes with Broccoli and Cheddar
|Broccoli and Cheddar|
They’re really are SO delicious, and offer a super tasty ways to work more veggies into any meal. But they’re particularly suited to this recipe, combined with sweet peas and Indian spices!
|Cauliflower, Butter and Herbs|
I loved using the VeggieMash as it cut my food prep time considerably, and they’re so easy to make. And eat!
|Cauliflower and Ranch|
I’m also very happy to tell you that all Idaho Spuds products start with 100% Idaho® Potatoes and VeggieMash is made using real vegetables, so making healthy choices has never been this easy! 😉
samosas,recipe,vegetarian,Indian,Indian food, appetizers, party appetizers
Vegetarian Indian Samosas
A delicious, simple to make party appetizer or snack that will please the whole family!
- 3 pack of Idaho Spuds’ new VeggieMash ( I used all three flavors)
- 3 cups of frozen peas
- 2 medium onions chopped finely
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 heaped tablespoons of curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- poppy or sesame seeds for garnish
- 250 melted butter
- 2 packs of filo pastry
- 1 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Making The Samosa Filling
- Make the mashed potatoes according to packet instructions. If using different flavors, divide them into separate bowls.
- In a large frying pan add the vegetable oil and onions. Fry gently until soft and cooked.
- Add the garlic and stir for another five minutes until golden brown.
- Add the curry powder and stir to coat the coat the mixture. Fry for another five minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and stir gently. Cover with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes until the peas are tender and warm.
- Divide the pea mixture into the mashed potato bowls and stir to combine.
Assembling The Samosas
- Open the filo pastry and cut into 4 inch wide strips. Keep the pastry covered with a damp cloth to avoid drying out.
- Brush a strip of filo pastry with melted butter, then add a teaspoon (size of a golf ball) on one corner of the filo strip. Fold the filo pastry on itself to make a samosa triangle.
- Place the samosa triangle onto a baking sheet, brush the top with more melted butter and sprinkle on some poppy seeds.
- Bake in a preheated over at 200 degrees Celsius (390 Fahrenheit) for about 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with cucumber and mint yogurt raita and lime wedges on the side.
Bird’s Party 2018 – All Rights Reserved
Hope you enjoyed this recipe and feel inspired to re-create it for your next party! 😊
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
This post appeared first on Bird’s Party Blog
You Might Also Like
[name=Cristina Riches aka Bird] [img=https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rgs8z050PyY/WunXdXzZ5VI/AAAAAAAAxjc/qiDi9XqWXLwHWPcat9CjHUSxy-f2PaTNgCK4BGAYYCw/s277/P1470392.JPG] [description=Cristina Riches aka Bird, is the founder of BirdsParty.com. She’s also a creative mom of two, published author, graphic designer, freelance photographer, magazine editor and unconditional party lover. Her party ideas and photos have been featured on numerous publications such as Forbes.com, CNN Entertainment, Parenting Magazine, Celebrate Magazine, All You Magazine, Elle Decor and MarthaStewart.com. She also regularly creates content for brands such as PBS Parents, HGTV, Coca-Cola, Nestlé, Pillsbury, PayPal, Mars, Hellmann’s, Cultura France and Danone to name a few.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/birdparty) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/birdsparty/) (instagram=http://instagram.com/birdsparty) (youtube=http://www.youtube.com/birdspartytricks) (twitter=http://twitter.com/birdsparty)